[Sussex] Samba - I don't quite follow.

Paul Turner pturner at rentokil.com
Mon Feb 21 09:38:29 UTC 2005

John D. wrote:

> I'm trying to work out how to configure SAMBA so that Clare can just
> plug her laptop in and print (and maybe file share, though probably
> not as the NTFS support AFAIK isn't fully up to speed with "write"
> ability).
>
> Having read through the gentoo samba HOWTO (which also covers CUPS and
> ClamAV), I'm just trying to get my head round things before I go for it.
>
> As I've already got some (well probably all) of the various packages
> emerged, should I unmerge them and re emerge them with the USE flags
> suggested in the HOWTO? or just check which USE flags I've already
> used and then add any extra ones they suggest and then run genkernel
> again (erm is thats what's meant by re-building the kernel as I don't
> normally use the "makemenuconfig" facility as I don't know enough
> about the hardware in an in depth way to do that)?:
>
> Also the HOWTO says
>
> *quote:
>
> *First of all: be sure that all your hostnames resolve correctly.
> Either have a working domain name system running on your network or
> appropriate entries in your /etc/hosts file. cupsaddsmb often borks if
> hostnames don't point to the correct machines.
>
> */quote*
>
> Is this something different or is it refering to the "domain name"
> stuff that I had to enter when I was installing the gentoo?
>
> Then there's the question of understanding the terminology. If the
> SAMBA is actually installed in the main machine, what am I setting up,
> a windows client (Clares laptop) or a *nix client so my login can talk
> to SAMBA and get access to the printer(s) or both?
>
> regards
>
> John D.

I've done a similar set up at home (although not with Gentoo).  You
don't SAMBA to get the printing working, just CUPS.  I  had to install
the gimp print postsript drivers which allowed me to use the drivers
from linux printing, but I set up a "RAW" driver for windows printing,
which uses the normal windows print driver.  SAMBS printing just gives
you a nice browsable list of network printers which is nice, but I
haven't set it up yet.

I can't remember more details I'm afraid.  I'll try and have a look at
my setup tonight.  You should find some stuff on the web.

Regards Paul.

*/Paul Turner/*
Applications Team Leader
*Rentokil Initial* Corporate IT

Information in this message is confidential and may be privileged. It is
intended solely for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If you are
not the intended recipient, please notify the sender, and please delete
the message from your system immediately.