[Sussex] Heat!

Karl E. Jorgensen karl at jorgensen.com
Mon Feb 21 10:38:42 UTC 2005

On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 12:58:50PM +0000, Richie Jarvis wrote:
> My mythtv box and fileserver sit under the stairs - the fileserver is
> rock solid, but the myth box is suffering from instability due to
> serious overheating - the temp under there reaches between 25 and 30
> degrees C with the door closed (despite putting a huge grill in the
> wall, and putting a vent in the door), and I believe this is responsible
> for the problems.

25-30 C room temperature doesn't sound too bad - at least it means that
any air sucked into the boxes should have *some* cooling effect...

If you want to check that your cooling efforts have any effect, then you
may want to monitor the temperature before and after your changes - and
apparantly there are cheap ways of doing so:

Or you can just go for the non-geek method of an old-fashioned
thermometer that has to be read manually :-)

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl at jorgensen.com   http://karl.jorgensen.com