[Sussex] The March Moot

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Sat Feb 26 03:17:55 UTC 2005

All

First, thanks to Karl for his talk on MythTV and to all that
turned up.  For those of you waiting for Karl's slides to go
up on the web site you'll have to wait a little longer.
There is something wrong with the server and both Gareth and
I can't log in (sshd doesn't appear to be running).  So I
can't install them at present.

On a sadder note the Feb Moot was Jon Fautley's last.  He is
moving a lot closer to London and talking a new job with RedHat.
Good luck Jon, and I hope that you will be staying a member of
this LUG, even if it is only on the ML.

Next month's moot is "Linux Hacking & Install Fest".  I do not
plan on banning talk about Linux from this list for the next
month :-)  that seams somewhat pointless.

If you wanted to try a different Linux distro this is the Moot
to attend.

I will be bringing a Debian mirror, and Stephen W has promised
that he will bring his Gentoo portage tree (whatever that is :-).
[Bet I can install Debian quicker than he can build Gentoo].

Steve:  The Debian mirror is configured as a DHCP server.  If
you send me your system's MAC address I will pre-configure it
a name (please provide the MAC address and name that you want).
Or you may want to run one your own network - it's up to you.

All: Anyone that can come with power and/or network will be
helpful.  We may even have WiFi in by then.

For this Moot the format will be different.  Rather than one long
talk there will be a set of short talks on "Linux Hints and Tips".
Each talk should be around 10 mins.  With the breaks between the
talks will allow the installs to be kicked off/continued.

I'll give a little talk on X11 and some cool things you can do
with it.  This will not cover X11 config - that subject could
take hours, but on tricks you can play once X11 is working.

Nik: You said last month that you wanted to give a little talk
too.  What will it cover?

See you next Moot.