[Sussex] The gadget show?

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Sat Feb 26 10:53:17 UTC 2005

Wotcha list,

Caught a programme on channel 5 that I hadn't come across last night.

The "gadet show". Yes a fair amount of it was about windows based
technology, but one of the articles was about smartphones/3G etc. The
article went on to explain that most of the "3G experience" in the UK is
a load of pooh, having compared it to the kind of service available
elsewhere (particularly Japan). Then it went on to explain that you can
also get a "docomo" like service here, but only using Open source software.

They went on to use one of these
<http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,58708,00.html> and then explained that
you'd need to "bash the credit card" a little, and although didn't
really elaborate, they were clearly using opera mobile
<http://www.opera.com/download/index.dml?platform=symbian>, they also
stated that the phone uses the Symbian OS, I wasn't aware that symbian
was open source? maybe someone could clarify that.

I'm thinking of seeing about whether it may be worth getting the mobile
oper browser installed on my XDA2s though, even though I'd only be on a
dialup type service, because proper mobile email would be a total bonus
(ha, radio 2's weekday overnight shows can "stand by"! :-D ), because
while I've managed to get it working, it's quite a "pallaver" to use
(and of course, I wouldn't dream of trying send an e-mail while driving
my truck :-) )!.

Anyway, "the gadget show" was quite interesting, and you might want to
keep an eye out to give it a look over.

regards

John D.