[Sussex] HostAP Drivers and DHCP

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Sat Feb 26 20:13:40 UTC 2005

Matt

On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 08:01:54PM +0000, Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 17:18:45 +0000
> Steve Dobson <steve at dobson.org> wrote:
> > If it isn't assocated with your AP and you're using PCMCIA, rather
> > than USB or built in check /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opt  In mine there
> > was a "*,*,*,*)" case clause that needed to be deleted before the
> > "any,*,*,*)" clause would take effect.
>
> OK, I've edited /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts so the first statement now
> reads as above, still no joy though.
>
> I pick up the AP fine, it just won't get an IP, even though Kismet is
> able to give me the IP Address Range.
>
> Please note that I am using hostAP on the _Client_ device (a laptop
> using a seano card from solwise and the hostap_cs modules), I am not
> setting up and access point.

Are you using pump or dhclient.  I've seen it that sometimes one works
were the other doesn't.  Both ways around - on the same machine too.
Go figure.

Before switching if iwconfig(8) is telling you that you are connected
to the AP then trying running dhclient/pump by hand.  If you're using
dhclient (which I am) then run it my hand:
   # dhclient <iface-name>
It reports what it is doing and what it receives - this can help
debug the problem.  Also look in the system logs (/var/log/syslog)
for any help messages there.  You should see PCMCIA log the insertion
of the card and what it trys to do.  - I am assuming that the PCMCIA
scheme your running does a DHCP lookup in /etc/pcmcia/network.opt.