[Sussex] partitions and the like ??

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Sun Jan 2 00:59:41 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-02 at 00:20 +0000, John D. wrote:
<snip>
> So, what I need to do now is work out how to get the system to see the
> new /dev/hda7, what the fstab entry should look like, so it will mount
> at boot, I can read/write to it as root and user?
>
> I'm gonna carry on looking but could someone point me in the right
> direction please?
</snip>

I've tried reading and inwardly digesting the contents of man mount and
man fstab (yum yum, needed more salt ;-P).

Plus, currently my /etc/fstab looks like this

# NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to
opts.
/dev/hda2               /boot           ext3            noauto,noatime
1 2
/dev/hda5               /               reiserfs        noatime
0 1
/dev/hda6               /home           reiserfs
noatime,user,exec               0 2
/dev/hda3               none            swap            sw
0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         noauto,ro,user
0 0
#/dev/fd0               /mnt/floppy     auto            noauto
0 0

# NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
none                    /proc           proc            defaults
0 0

# glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
# POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).
# (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will
#  use almost no memory if not populated with files)
# Adding the following line to /etc/fstab should take care of this:

none                    /dev/shm        tmpfs           defaults
0 0

I'm thinking on the lines of

/dev/hda7     /fat32     vfat     defaults,users,rw     0 2

Does that look about right ??? or utter cobblers??? i.e. will it allow
me to start it at boot and read/write to it as root and user?

Plus to make the mountpoint(?) is

# mkdir -p /mnt/fat32
# mount /dev/hda7 /mnt/fat32

correct or does it have to be different?

regards

John D.