[Sussex] Compact X

matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Thu Jan 6 10:57:42 UTC 2005

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 10:39:07 +0000 (GMT)
sussex at welikegoats.com enlightened us with:

> On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
>
> > I have recently upgraded my laptop and want to give the old one to
> > my g/f, however it only has a 3.2Gb HDD, 64Mb Ram and a AMD K6
> > 450MHz processor.  I don't have the money to upgrade, so I'm after a
> > version of X that is compact and will still run mozilla and
> > Openoffice.
>
> Firstly, when you say "a version of X", I assume you mean "a Linux
> distro". This was easy until I read mozilla and OO. Anyway, your
> choice of distro will make no difference. Lose KDE/Gnome and use a
> proper window manager to save resources. Really consider buying
> another 64MB. Replace mozilla with opera or firefox.

Ok, wasn';t specific enough, sorry! :)

I will be running:

Gentoo Linux (because I can get a really small footprint)
Firefox, not mozilla
Open Office
a window manager (probably icewm or fluxbox but must be lightweight)
X (preferably a hacked version of xorg so it has a small footprint)

This laptop will only be used for wordprocessing and checking webmail,
so nothing else is really needed.

Matt

This email has been independently scanned for viruses and any virus detected has been removed using McAfee anti-virus software