[Sussex] Remote (Samba 3.0.x) Domain Accesss

Richie Jarvis richie at helkit.com
Sun Jan 9 11:44:04 UTC 2005

paul Morriss wrote:
> Richie
>   Would the remote machine be part of the domain?  The firewall that we
> will be going through is Smoothwall Express 2.. Should I expeact any
> issues ?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Paul
Hi Paul,

The remote part is the IP address of the machine running the OpenVPN server.

Smoothwall shouldn't be a problem - just allow port 1194 UDP to connect
through to the OpenVPN server machine.

Also, I forgot to mention - use OpenVPN v2.0, not 1.x, as the older
versions require that each tunnel for each external machine occurs on a
different port (which is a pain) - 2.0 sorts it all out automatically
for you.

When generating the keys, use the easy-rsa scripts provided in the
OpenVPN package - makes life alot easier.

Users can't browse the network as normal using my configs, they need to
know the name of the machine they are connecting to - i.e. \\myserver -
There is an example config on the website that explains how to get
proper browsing working, however, CIFS causes alot of traffic whilst
browsing, so I opted to make life a little more difficult for my users
to discourage it, as we only have an ADSL line at work ;)

Cheers,

Richie