[Sussex] Suse 9.1

Stephen Williams sdp.williams at btinternet.com
Mon Jan 17 20:02:58 UTC 2005

Geoff,

I'm also interested in Ubuntu (despite the touchy-feely image). However,
I want to run KDE instead of Gnome - does it offer the choice?

I've also found that the recent change of location of libraries in Xorg
has implications for those who run Gentoo.

I've recently done:

emerge -e world

and found the normally trouble-free compile was completely absent. It
seems to me that the change of location of x libraries
(from /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/ to /usr/lib/X11/ IIRC) causes breakdowns in
the dependencies of numerous packages, libxklavier being just one
example.

A bit of editing of ebuild files and other hacks has rendered my system
usable, but my advice to Gentoo users contemplating emergeing -u world
or system might be best advised to leave it a while.

That was a bit of fun for the New Year.

Steve Williams.