[Sussex] Ubuntu for my dad

Gavin Stevens starshine at gavmusic.uklinux.net
Mon Jan 17 23:50:07 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I put together a PC from spare bits for my dad, who has never used a
computer before. This seems a cost-free way for him to try a PC before
splashing out on a new one.

I decided to take a look at Ubuntu, which Linux Format thoughtfully
provided on the current issue.

I was very impressed with the installation (it found all the hardware) &
it looks like a well thought out distro. I think I shall make some space
for it on my system.

It gives me a nice warm feeling to think that my dad's first ever
contact with a computer will be with Open Source software - & a Debian
based distro at that. (I did discuss this with him beforehand & he
agreed that if he saw Linux first, he wouldn't know the difference).

I hope he likes it.

Gavin.