[Sussex] RAID, and building a server.

Diego Moore diego.moore at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 21:19:05 UTC 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 19:24:31 +0000, Mark Harrison (Groups)
<mph at ascentium.co.uk> wrote:
> In an ideal world, I'd go for an on-motherboard SATA RAID
> controller that presented to the O/S as if the array were a single
> drive, but I'm not sure that such things exist?

Its called JBOD (Just a bunch of Disks) and many recent motherboards
with built in RAID support it.

However from my experience, I had a motherboard failure which had and
IDE RAID-0 (striped) and since the new motherboard had another
controller it did not recognize the array! So I lost all my data.

Thats something I had never taken into account.

Diego