[Sussex] Linux and laptops

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Fri Jan 21 14:44:39 UTC 2005

Ben,

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 06:33:32 -0800 (PST)
Ben Gr0ss <forgottendruid at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi, I just joined the list, I live in East Sussex now,
> and have been trying to get linux on my laptop.

Welcome, there's loads of knowledge on this list!

> Mandrake wouldn't load, I couldnt get Debian to load
> properly,
> I just triede Ubuntu this morning, it loads fine.

Not played with Ubuntu yet, I'm a gentoo man myself, however I did learn one things that helps a lot.  If there is an automatic hardware setup program (kudzu, anaconda, hotplug, coldplug etc) then use it.

The keyboard on my laptop does not work unless I am running hwsetup  (possible a Debian thing, not sure, pretty certain I had to emerge apt-get to install it!) at boot time.

I'm sure many others will give you pointers in the direction of a good distro to use, I tried a few, (but not debian or slack) and once I'd found Gentoo, I stuck with it.

HTH,

Matt

This email has been independently scanned for viruses and any virus software has been removed using McAfee anti-virus software