[Sussex] Linux and laptops

Colin Tuckley colin at tuckley.org
Fri Jan 21 19:26:52 UTC 2005

Ben Gr0ss wrote:

> Anybody else have experience with linux and laptops?
> I am thinking about attending the moot.

I've just converted by ancient AJP 400MHz laptop from Win98SE to Linux.

It hasn't been without problems although it's been usable from the word go.
Including getting X and the PCMCIA network card running.

I'm using Debian "sarge" and initially used a default install with a 2.4
kernel. This had trouble with the USB and so I've moved over to a 2.6 kernel
which got the USB running.

The remaining problem is getting the sound going, it has a rather
non-standard ISA soundcard built in which ALSA doesn't seem able to find
even though I know which chipset it is and have made sure the driver module
is available.

I'll be at the moot.

Colin

--
Colin Tuckley      |  colin at tuckley.org  |  PGP/GnuPG Key Id
+44(0)1903 236872  |  +44(0)7799 143369  |     0x1B3045CE

  Q. Why is top posting bad?