[Sussex] Wireless AP

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri Jan 28 13:31:15 UTC 2005

All

I think we now have a solution.

   LinkSys WiFi AP (Richie)
   PII 266MHz (Colin)
   Cables (Nik)

I assume that this will be install as follows:

                 +--------+   +----------+
    Link to      | ADSL   |   |          |
    ISP Zen & ---+ Router +---+ Firewall |
    Internet     | Modem  |   |          |
                 +---+----+   +----+-----+
                     |             |
                   Rest of    +----+-----+
                 Holbrook's   | LinkSys  |
                  network     +----------+

Jon: You should know Holbrook's current network config
is this how you see the installation being done?  Or
are we going to firewall Holbrook's network as well.

So which ports should we open on the Firewall?
   22	(SSH)
   80   (HTTP)
   109  (POP2)
   110  (POP3)
   143  (IMAP2)
   220  (IMAP3)
   443  (HTTPS)
   993  (IMAPS - IMAP over SSL)
   995  (POP3S - POP3 over SSL)
   8080 (Webcache, but I've used sites that use this
         to serve pages too)

Colin: Could you get your PII ready?  Minimal Debian install
with a 2.6 kernel, vi, iptables, sshd, dns and dhcp.  I can't
think of anything else it might need.

Colin/Richie: I will be popping over to Brighton on Tuesday for
a meeting (business).  Any chance of picking up the hardware then?
The meeting starts at 11:00 so the morning would be best for me.

Jon: As you are the Holbrook's current IP guy then I guess it
should be you and I that do the install.