[Sussex] Future presentation offer - Asterisk

Mark Harrison (Groups) mph at ascentium.co.uk
Fri Jan 28 21:29:33 UTC 2005

Guys,

I'd like to offer a future presentation on "setting up Asterisk" at a
LUGMoot.

For those who aren't aware, Asterisk is an OpenSource middleware
platform for voice applications that runs (normally) on Linux.

AMONG OTHER THINGS, you can receive calls on SIP (the leading voice over
IP (VOIP) protocol ), and traditional phone lines (with a suitable,
cheap, interface card.)

Likewise, among other things, you can forward those calls to voicemail
(included), softphones (software that runs on your PC), hardphones
(devices that look like analogue phones but actually are IP devices
plugging into the network) or analogue phones (with a suitable, cheap,
interface card)

For incoming calls, I use it in combination with sipgate (a free service
that gives me a central London phone number and forwards that to a SIP
address), so that when someone rings my London number, it firstly tries
my softphone for 20 seconds, and if I'm not around diverts to voicemail.

I'm currently writing up my installation notes into something that could
be a LUGMoot presentation, if there's interest.

Regards,

Mark