[Sussex] CVS

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Fri Jan 28 22:36:15 UTC 2005

Geoff

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 10:14:37PM +0000, Geoffrey Teale wrote:
> I'm slightly confused as to whether you want to be more or less secure...

Well given that the CVS protocol transmits the passwords in plain text
and SMB can be configured not to I am guessing SMB is the more secure
of the two (if configured correctly).

> If you want a really secure source control system I'd suggest moving
> from CVS to Tom Lord's GNU Arch - you can remote access it via sftp
> (ssh) and require all check-ins to be digitally signed.

I tried GNU Arch (after you recommended it to me) and gave up.  It's got
a steep learning curve, which isn't a problem in itself a problem, but
after a couple of hours reading and trying their examples on the code I
wanted to check some file - that it when I in I gave up.  The reason?
Following the on-line tutorial I it wouldn't allow me to do the check-in.
There were some files in the directory that I hadn't told it how to
process, so rather than ignoring them it stopped me checking in any files.
The files I hadn't identified were stuff that I didn't want to check in,
but I didn't want to move them out of that directory either.

In my mind it failed Eric Raymond's "Luxury of Ignorance" test.
   http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cups-horror.html