[Sussex] router woes

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Mon Jan 31 12:49:04 UTC 2005

Hi LUG,

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 12:30:15PM +0000, Geoffrey Teale wrote:
> Generally the little blue LinkSys routers are "da bomb" - you can
> flash them with all sorts of Linux goodies..

Some of them.  The WRT54G is specifically the one that's had lots of
work IIRC.

I bought the WAG54G which was a mistake.  I knew it didn't run linux but
I didn't really care I thought I'd use it as an ADSL router but it gets
confused when there was a NATing gateway between it and the web browser
using its admin interface, there are many reports of its wireless not
working well depending on the firmware revision (I already had a WAP so
I've not tried it) and despite turning all the firewalling off it seemed
to block traceroutes.

I'm using a linux box + a speedtouch frog now.  It means I can benefit
from the native IPv6 we offer which is quite nifty but it also just
gives me more control so if you're a geek and want to control as much of
your connection as possible then I'd recommend it.

I used to use a connexant router before the linksys one and I had issues
with that forcing me to use PPPoE for various bits when I didn't want
to.

Simon.

--
 -+//   Documentation is worth it just to be able to answer all your   \\+-
-+<<                    mail with 'RTFM' - Alan Cox                     >>+-