[Sussex] Noob

Richie Jarvis richie at helkit.com
Mon Jan 31 20:39:31 UTC 2005

Mark Harrison (Groups) wrote:

> That's not the only problem. There are some bugs in Firefox still,
> which do cause some problems. More commonly, however, are the site
> designers who have tested against IE, and found that sites worked, and
> not realised that their sites were therefore effectively working
> around bugs in IE at the expense of breaking standards.
>
> Particularly true with DIV tags, and with Javascript.

Yeah - I find it completely dies on Javascript sites.  You know, the
more I think about this debate, the more I think that Longhorn is going
to be the windoze killer.  I was watching an interview with Gates today
- he avoided every single question that was asked of him.  Anyway, if
Longhorn is the DRM infested, memory hungry piece of junk that it looks
like it will be, then that will force more people to switch to Linux.

The real driver for Linux I think will be companies.  The more companies
that run Linux, the more people will understand it, and the more
acceptable it will become at home.  Schools are another bit hitter in
this as well - if kids can use Linux at school, and then run their games
at home - this will make the next generation of users already setup.

Up until 3 years ago, the companies I worked for would not run a Linux
desktop - now many are doing so - the more it can be proved that Linux
works, the better.  The big stick is M$ though - I recently was asked to
price an Exchange server, because that allows my staff to share their
calendars (and virii!) - the cost for a small biz server is about £1500
now - up to 50 users, inc domain seats, and exchange seats.  I can't
compete with that on open source, wish I could!  (If anyone has any
suggestions at this point - I am all ears!)

The thing is that the learning curve for normal users to Linux needs is
too steep.

Richie