[Sussex] ESR is plain wrong...

Geoffrey J Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Fri Jul 1 16:50:09 UTC 2005

So fresh from abusing Star Wars (a topic that I recognise is akin to
criticising an organised religion in these circles) I now feel the need to
decry this:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2005/06/30/esr_interview.html

ESR, I'm sorry but you're wrong, the GPL is the gold standard of F/L/OSS and
the maintenance of that standard is what stops the shareholders of Red Hat,
Novell, IBM etc from forcing them into wide scale abuse of the market.  If we
really lived in a world where people would just "do the right thing" we would
never had needed the GPL in the first place.  After all, software freedom was
the defacto standard before the era of the PC - the mind share was near
total, so how did we ever slip up?

--
Geoffrey J. Teale
Free Software Foundation