[Sussex] i dont get this!!!!!!!!

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Tue Jul 5 21:54:12 UTC 2005

Tracie

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 09:44:39PM +0100, tracie tomkinson wrote:
> hi guys, i came to the worthing bcf on sunday 3rd july and met the
> motley crew running the stall, i would like to say thanks to nick for
> helping sort out my internet problem,

It's nice to know that our time at the BCF is not being wasted.

> but now i seem to have another
> one! i have done as advised and installed the new network card and
> cable for the internet, which comes through my very annoying ntl
> box(but thats another story!) and it works fine but now when i shut
> my pc down as soon as it recieves a signal from the set top box it
> restarts, even if someone only changes channel it springs into life,
> how can i get round this without having to unplug the cable everytime
> i shut down?

I bet there is something in your BIOS settings that says something
like: "Wake on LAN - Enabled".  The way to stop it is to enter the
BIOS [1] and disable it there.

If there is nothing in the BIOS then it might be a function of your
new network card.  Again read the instructions - there my be a jumper
on the board that you need to add/remove to change that setting - or
there maybe a BIOS entry method.  Check the instructions that cam with
the card.

Sorry to give you a RTFM answer, but I hope this has pointed you in
the right direction.  Lets us know either way.

> please someone save wot is left of my sanity

If you want to keep your sanity then this is *not* the list to
join :)

Steve
One of the Motley Crew :-)

[1] The way to enter your BIOS is the press the appropriate key just
after the system is switched on.  You should have received an
instruction book that will tell you how to do that when you bought
your PC (or at least the motherboard).  If you can't find that then
try hitting F2 and DEL just after you which the machine on, those are
the two most commonly entry keys.

--
... though his invention worked superbly -- his theory was a crock of sewage
from beginning to end.