[Sussex] Gentoo headaches!!!

Dominic Clay Dominic.Clay at cardinus.com
Mon Jul 11 12:15:23 UTC 2005

Steve,

Unfortunately other distros do work.  I have had Debian and Damn Small Linux working without hitch.  The trouble is, I really want to go back to Gentoo and I only have this WinXP laptop and a copy of VMWare 4.

I did read somewhere that the Gentoo boot process might struggle with certain types of CD drive.  There wasn’t much detail, just a rumour monger really.  I don’t know if there is any truth in this and I don’t know if this would come in to play at this point in the boot..? I also cant find the page that I found that said this.

How can I get some more info out of the system if I cant get past this point?  I have tried going into the VMWare bios, but there is very little in the way of customisation functionality.

What _is_ the boot process doing at this '>> booting...' point anyway????

Cheers for your help,
Dominic