[Sussex] DTD and encoding ????

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Mon Jul 11 18:32:55 UTC 2005

Probably a dumb question, I'm trying to re-write my "works" site. As
usual, I'm having to re-learn everything.

For accuracy and standards reasons, I like to run my page(s) through the
W3C validator.

This is throwing up an error that I don't follow.

I've used this

*<!DOCTYPE *html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"*>
*

but when I run it through the validator it tells me that

"I was not able to extract a character encoding labeling from any of the
valid sources for such information. Without encoding information it is
impossible to reliably validate the document. I'm falling back to the
"UTF-8" encoding and will attempt to perform the validation, but this is
likely to fail for all non-trivial documents"

I can't find anything that tells me about putting an "encoding element"
in the doc type declaration, what is it telling me to do??

regards

John D.

p.s. that DTD is generated by quanta, so I have to presume it's correct,
though the error suggests not!