[Sussex] Linux and the Average User

Mark Harrison (Groups) mph at ascentium.co.uk
Mon Jul 11 20:39:28 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 19:03 +0100, Frances Fleming wrote:
> On Mon Jul 11 18:54:36 BST 2005 Nik Butler wrote:
> > What is it that defines a Average User ?
>
> Well, Nik, I don't believe there's any such animal ... ;)
>
> But I do believe that saving files is a fairly average wannado.

Nik,

- wants to "just get on and open Word documents that my friend has
sent."

- ditto Excel and Powerpoint

- wants to surf and get the "web experience", including Flash, and,
alas, VBScript

- wants to be able to print from surfing [personal bugbear - the printer
handling in whatever the hell it is that handles PDF viewing in Ubuntu,
rather than being asked "what do you want to handle this - lpr?" - no *%
&*$ing idea, squire, I just want it to print to the CUPS? printer]

- wants to be able to read email "at a click".

I have to say, Ubuntu is working well for me apart from the Printing
from PDF defaults. The only thing I _had_ to install was OOo2.0, but
that was because I use a known Beta app on my Windows machines, and
therefore have files in its format.

M.