[Sussex] Linux and the Average User

Nicholas Butler nik at reducedhackers.com
Tue Jul 12 07:13:51 UTC 2005

> However, if "average user" detects ANY loss of functionality with Linux
> compared to Windows, (s)he's going to feel that "this is no good."
Which is wierd since when they experience the same loss of
functionallity under windows they just write it up as the experience.

Yesterdays problems included.

Moving a Printer from one shared machine to another required
reinstalling the printer to each client and .... reconfiguring the
settings.

Installing Adobe Reader 7 and it does not recognise any currently
installed printers

Having to explain to a user that the reason one computer can see a file
named DLL and the other cannot is because of the folder view and not as
they keep attempting to prove ... because the server is misconfigured.

I think its fair to say I can experience them on any platform so
possibly this is the users experience.