[Sussex] RE: Linux and the Average User

Gareth Ablett Gareth.Ablett at itpserve.co.uk
Tue Jul 12 09:14:54 UTC 2005

 From: NIcholas Butler [mailto:nik at reducedhackers.com]
 Subject: Linux and the Average User ... was [Re: [Sussex] Knoppix 3.9 /
pendrive test - volunteers [wanted]

> So this made me wonder...
>
> What is it that defines a Average User ?

Ok now if one decides to take the literal meaning of Average in a
mathematical sense the average user would be dependant on who it is
being compared to, so if you have a room full of IT professionals then
the Average would be a quite high I would hope.

If you too a group of people on the street eliminated those classed as
non users and then too the average you might get a lower ability level.

So to some extent every one is an average user in there own rite.

If one then assumes that we include all pc users I believe you have a
lot of ranging abilities to the middle section will often be fond of
certain packages/programs that they are used to for doing quite possibly
anything.

I really don't see that the average user only really uses there pc for
surfing, email, and word/excel kid of stuff. These days the average
wants to fill there iPod with music, design a simple website, make
invitations for there wedding, do their accounts, watch a DVD, listen to
music and most commonly the average user will want to play games(even if
its not the vast commercial selection).

<action>flicks penny in the air</action>

Gareth Ablett
Systems Developer

ITP Services Ltd.
http://www.itpserve.co.uk/

The recipient acknowledges that ITP Services Ltd is unable to control
the content of information in transmitting mail and attachments over the
Internet. ITP Services Ltd makes no warranty as to the quality,
accuracy and content of information contained in or with this message.
In
reading, opening or receiving this e-mail the recipient accepts full
responsibility for its content and attachments.