[Sussex] RE: Linux and the Average User

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Tue Jul 12 10:26:24 UTC 2005

I suspect that lots of you on the list have missed the "User" bit.

Users don't want to have to configure anything. They just "want it too
work". Not too spend hours/days/weeks (in my case years), trying to
learn how something works, just too get it to "go"!

The main reason I'm here in the first place, is because I want to "use"
my pc, but I don't want to have to use it with MS products. For me, it's
a social/ethical/moral problem. If the rest of the world wants to remain
hypnotised by Gates and MS, well thats surely their choice.

Hence, my biggest "soapbox subject" being documentation. Most of "you
lot" have considerable levels of IT knowledge, which too me, suggest not
needing instructions/howtos/etc being written in "plain" English, but
for me, it's the opposite.

So I'll continue to say that you shouldn't substitute enthusiast with
"User".

regards

John D.