[Sussex] RE: Copywrite and the Old Woman ...

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Tue Jul 12 11:15:04 UTC 2005

Rupert Swarbrick wrote:
> <snip>
>
>Incidently, about ogg vs. FLAC, my music collection is in ogg format. I
>own almost all of it on CD too and have it on my computer to save the
>hassle of changing the CDs. Most of the time, I'm listening through my
>laptop speakers, which are pretty rubbish compared to a proper HiFi, so
>as far as I'm concerned, the very minor loss of quality when recording
>to ogg is irrelevant compared to the saved space as it sounds pretty
>awful either way!
Very fair comment. Personally, I'm using a pair of satelite
mid-range/tweeters with sub-woofer. I don't evisage moving up to
anything like hi-fi quality, but even with my Soundblaster 5.1 digital
the difference is audiable, as is the difference between ogg and mp3. As
you say Rupert, if you're stuck with laptop based speakers then that'd
be great.

By subscription services, I was making a sweeping generalisation of all
those who offer this kind of music service, albeit iTunes, Napster or
whatever. Streaming or non streaming. If an album contains say 12
tracks, and they want to charge either 79 or 99 pence per track thats
either £9.48 or £11.88 per album. I might as well say cobblers to the
digital versions and get it on CD as the price is comparable. Rather
than helping increase their profit margin in real terms (the robbing
********).

If they wanted to charge something more reasonable then I might consider
signing up to one of those sort of services - until then, NADA!

As for portable music, I'll looking into a "Rio Karma", as it is one of
a few mp3 player type devices that supports FLAC (as well as ogg). Most
of those that do, are considerably more expensive than something off the
shelf at the local Dixons/Currys etc the karma is currently £130 at
amazon - excellent!

Hence, the suggestion that is demonstrated in the cartoon link that Nik
originally posted is brilliant, but when laid against the vested
interests of the record industry.... Well! </shrug>

regards

John D.