[Sussex] RE: Linux and the Average User

Gareth Ablett Gareth.Ablett at itpserve.co.uk
Tue Jul 12 12:03:59 UTC 2005

 From: Geoffrey Teale [mailto:gteale at cmedresearch.com]
 Subject: Re: [Sussex] RE: Linux and the Average User

> On Tuesday 12 July 2005 11:55, Richie Jarvis wrote:
> > > Users don't want to have to configure anything. They just "want it
too
> > > work". Not too spend hours/days/weeks (in my case years), trying
> > > learn how something works, just too get it to "go"!
>
> Actually, as MH and I have discussed off list, users say that, but
they have
> double standards.  They are used to jumping through all manner of
hoops to
> get Windows and MS Office to "just work", but the slightest bump in
the road
> with Linux causes them to run screaming.

If we can work out why this is then would could make Linux even more
inviting to new users, Is it because of;
A) the tech support guy at wanadoo said we don't support linux.
B) Because you get a nice fluffy blue screen (BSOD) when everything goes
wrong.
C) Because I know windows should do it I just need to play a bit harder.
(Therefore meaning that due to lack of knowledge in Linux puts people
off.)

As soon as linux gets introduced as an alternative at a younger age you
will see attitudes change.

Gareth Ablett
Systems Developer

ITP Services Ltd.
http://www.itpserve.co.uk/

The recipient acknowledges that ITP Services Ltd is unable to control
the content of information in transmitting mail and attachments over the
Internet. ITP Services Ltd makes no warranty as to the quality,
accuracy and content of information contained in or with this message.
In
reading, opening or receiving this e-mail the recipient accepts full
responsibility for its content and attachments.