[Sussex] RE: Copywrite and the Old Woman ...

Mark Harrison (Groups) mph at ascentium.co.uk
Thu Jul 14 20:11:59 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 19:57 +0100, John Thompson wrote:
> The Rio Karma is the Biz!!
>
> Ogg and FLAC and has Ethernet port (as well as USB) so you can just plug
> it into your router. Comes with a Java - based download application that
> works, of course, on Linux! Lithium ion battery, etc.

It's taken long enough :-)

I have a house full of "Rio Receivers" - their original ethernet-based
MP3 player, which was discontinued in about 2002 pending "a new
product".

The Rio Receiver also runs Linux internally - sadly Rio only ever
released a Windows server for it, but fortunately the OpenSource
community released a Java one that ran cross-platform, and worked better
than the original.

Likewise, running OGG and FLAC is possible, thanks to OpenSource
software.

For mobile MP3, I have an iPod. Yes, it requires a Windows box, but its
ergonomics are head and shoulders above all the other portables I've
used.

Mark