[Sussex] Odd noise on laptop - hard drive?

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Mon Jul 18 17:58:37 UTC 2005

Rupert

On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 06:39:29PM +0100, Rupert Swarbrick wrote:
> Very strange high-pitched whirring sound from hard disk (I think) - this
> is irritating, but strangely when I do `modprobe uhci-hcd`, the whirring
> noise suddenly stops.
>
> Any idea on what might be causing it? The laptop's a Dell Inspiron 500m
> (and I can't find anything with Google)

I assume that the noise is the bearings.  Mine makes a noise from time
to time, but it still works okay.  Why the noise stops when you load
uhci-hcd I don't know - after all that module is to do with the USB
bus not the IDE.

If your worried about the drive then (back it up first) pull it and
check it out.  The IBMs come with an extended (??three years??) warentee,
so you might be able to get a replacement.

Expert, n.:
	Someone who comes from out of town and shows slides.