[Sussex] Odd noise on laptop - hard drive?

Geoffrey Teale gteale at cmedresearch.com
Tue Jul 19 14:29:39 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 19 July 2005 15:18, Ronan Chilvers wrote:
> Had a similar thing with a drive in my dell latitude.  Clanked and
> whizzed like crazy.  I replaced it (cos it was too small, not because
> it was dodgy) and its now in a USB caddy and works fine - still clanks
> and whirrs though!  I suppose some drives are just plain noisy!
>
> Mine wasn't fixed by modprobing anything though - strange that one!

Many years ago (when I was at Uni) we had Dan PC's, several of which would
make a high pitched whining noise until such time as you either whacked them
very hard, or hit the esc key.  The former solution would be consistent with
something mechanical being at fault, the later has no sane explanation.

Sometimes things are just plain odd.  Quantum effects at work...

--
Geoffrey Teale
Cmed Research  //  Free Software Foundation