[Sussex] Network administration training

Alan Delaney hairy.one at virgin.net
Sat Jul 23 12:15:08 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I need some advice please.  At the moment I've got about ten working
computers that I'm setting up on a home network running Slackware 10.1.
  My main motivation for this is that I want to learn about system
administration, network security, etc.  I've decided to give each
machine a specific role as part of this so for example one machine is a
web-server, one is a NFS server, one's a multmedia machine, etc.  This,
I think, should give me a good general idea of system administration as
well as some basic grounding in the basic debugging and monitoring tools
needed. However, I'm not sure what would be the best way for me to learn
more advanced system administration.  So far I've relied on man pages,
Google searches, etc. which are useful to a point but fairly limited.
Does anybody know of a good, detailed book, web-site, tutorial, how-to,
etc. that I could use to really learn the ins and out of Linux network
administration?  My financial resources are very limited so doing a
full-time course is out of the question while paid part-time courses are
unlikely though not imposible, so for now I'm just looking for advice on
the best way to pursue a part-time home-study project.

On the other hand if anybody knows of any vacancies for a fairly
clueless but enthusiastic/obsessed sysadmin trainee then I'd be
definitely interested!

Thanks,

Alan Delaney