[Sussex] vvv confused with java - jre, sdk and jvm

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Sun Jul 24 17:12:49 UTC 2005

John D. wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> After reading an excellent review in this months LXF, I've been trying
> to install "Openlaszlo" (for making Flash GUI's and stuff).
>
> Problem is, it "needs" java. Ok, so as far as I can tell, I've got it
> installed.
>
> The Openlaszlo install instructions tell me to check that I've "set
> JAVA_HOME" by doing this
>
> john at johnspc:~> echo $JAVA_HOME
> /usr/lib/jvm/java
> john at johnspc:~>
>
> I understand that I have to have the java SDK installed, which I've
> done using YaST (in my SuSE 9.3 install). I've tried both
> 1.4.2-something or other and 1.5.0-whatever.
>
> Having checked round, I seem to have an absolute myriad of java stuff
> installed i.e. I seem to be able to see directories for 1.4.0, 1.4.1,
> 1.4.2 and 1.5.0 (I know that I've probably done the last two, but
> where the first two come from is anyones guess). When I've tried to
> install it (the java SDK) it doesn't actually identify itself as the
> JRE or SDK, just sun-java and sun-java-dev (plus YaST shows some other
> sun-java stuff like sun-java-alsa and things like that, and yes I
> installed the bits that seem to be pertinent to my system).
>
> This is the kind of reply I'm getting when I look for "it".
>
> john at johnspc:~> whereis java SDK
> java: /usr/bin/java /etc/java /usr/lib/java /usr/share/java
> /usr/share/man/man1/java.1.gz
> SDK:
> john at johnspc:~>
>
> Plus I'm getting even more confused as I don't seem to be able to do
> "locate somethingorother" as I just get the "locate: command not
> found" as either user or root.
>
> Could someone advise what I need to do to get this sorted please i.e.
> mainly to "set JAVA_HOME", but also why I can't just "locate" things
Further to the above, I'm just in the process of deleting all the YaST
entries for Java (1.4.2 and 1.5.0) and then re-installing the 1.5.0, in
the hope that if I'm only looking for one thing, it might make my quest
easier, though if anyone has any advice/suggestions/clues etc for the
above, the question still stands.

regards

John D.