[Sussex] A different java related problem - with my Rio Karma mp3 player and music transferring.

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Tue Jul 26 13:53:31 UTC 2005

Hi list,

All of the messing around trying to get the java SDK so that I can have
a look at Openlaszlo has thrown up a different problem.

My mp3 player (Rio Karma) doesn't have direct linux support, but
normally I'd use a java version of their Rio Music Manager software to
transfer the ripped tracks
to the device via ethernet, but since my meddling with the SDK my system
will not allow me to start the rmmlite.jar file to transfer some tracks.

I'm now getting this error.....

john at johnspc:~/savedstuff> java -jar rmmlite.jar
Xlib: No protocol specified

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11
window                            server using ':0.0' as the value of
the DISPLAY variable.
        at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.initDisplay(Native Method)
        at
sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.access$000(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java
:53)
        at
sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment$1.run(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:142)
        at
sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.<clinit>(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:1
31)
        at
java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment(GraphicsEnvi
ronment.java:68)
        at java.awt.Window.init(Window.java:270)
        at java.awt.Window.<init>(Window.java:318)
        at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:419)
        at javax.swing.JFrame.<init>(JFrame.java:194)
        at com.rio.rmmlite.ChooseRmmlOrTaxi.main(ChooseRmmlOrTaxi.java:18)
john at johnspc:~/savedstuff>

the rmmlite.jar file is actually 2 applications, the music manager and
the "Rio Taxi", though I've never used the second one.

Also, the device (the mp3 player) is normally connected to the system
via ethernet, and I'm not seeing any connection indication either i.e.
no light on the hub, or on the back of the mp3 player dock, though if I
disconnect the ethernet cable, the docks main light (as opposed to the
ethernet connection light) goes out. So as far as I can tell, that means
that the dock is seeing the connection, but the system isn't seeing the
connection to the ethernet hub.

If I try to see the device with it's IP address, it's telling me that an
error occured while loading the IP address.

What do I need to do to check this i.e. how do I check the ethernet
connection and do I need to do something with the java so that it uses
the jre rather than the SDK/JDK???

Any ideas much appreciated.

regards

John D.