[Sussex] CD -> MP3 on linux

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Tue Jul 26 20:03:13 UTC 2005

Mark Harrison (Groups) wrote:
> In the past, I ripped CDs with EAC and encoded directly with LAME. This
> was, of course, on Windows.
>
> I now have a new set of CDs that I need to rip [1] and convert to MP3
> [2], but I want to use my Ubuntu PC to do so.
>
> What software should I be installing to do the tasks?
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark
>

> [1] This is legal in this particular case.
>
> [2] Please don't tell me that I should be using FLAC, I'd prefer to, but
> I have put this onto a couple of hardware devices where the only format
> in common will be MP3.
Sound-Juicer will rip straight to mp3, as will grip. Plus if size is at
a premium you wouldn't want to be encoding into FLAC, the 396 tracks
that I've got as FLAC on my Rio Karma take up
9.64 gigs - the files are massive compared to wma/mp3/ogg/aac/etc etc.

Ubuntu, debian based with gnome front end????? Well, you should have
grip and probably sound-juicer installed if it "does the multimedia
stuff" by default.

regards

John D.