[Sussex] CD -> MP3 on linux

Mark Harrison (Groups) mph at ascentium.co.uk
Tue Jul 26 20:55:55 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 21:01 +0100, John D. wrote:

> Sound-Juicer will rip straight to mp3, as will grip.

Sound-Juicer it is. Ta.

> Plus if size is at
> a premium you wouldn't want to be encoding into FLAC, the 396 tracks
> that I've got as FLAC on my Rio Karma take up
> 9.64 gigs - the files are massive compared to wma/mp3/ogg/aac/etc etc.

Size absolutely not an issue. My Rio Receivers are entirely
network-based (ie they play music from a server, no local storage). My
iPod has 60Gb, so really not fussed about storage space. Everything I've
ripped over the last 5 years only totals 9.3Gb.

Quality is a big issue for me. I used to be a classical recording
engineer, and got the hifi bug.

However, compatibility is the biggest issue. Hence, MP3.

M.