[Sussex] Open Source Beer!

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Thu Jul 28 22:30:59 UTC 2005

Gareth Ablett wrote:
>  From: Mark Harrison (Groups) [mailto:mph at ascentium.co.uk]
>  Subject: Re: [Sussex] Open Source Beer!
>
>> On Thu, 2005-07-28 at 15:27 +0100, Paul Turner wrote:
>>
>>> See:
>>>
>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4718719.stm
>>>

>>> That should keep Geoff happy ;-)
>>>
>> Anyone at University looking for a project next year should consider
>> "Open Source Champagne".
>>

> Interesting idea but to do that would be quite hard as Champagne is
> would need to come from the champagne region in France, although "Open
> Source Sparkling White" is possible.
>
> Personally I'd be quite keen on the idea of "Open Source whiskey"
> although the creation of it no so legal in the country with out a
> license.
Well I'm sorry, but rather than these new fangled ideas of Open Source
Beer, I think I'd rather go for the Unix of alcoholic drinks. It's been
around since the year dot (the ancient Egyptians are
reputed to have made it some 5k+ years ago - it's probably easier than
beer to make. As it's an old recipe (like Unix) that has crept out into
the rest of the world with varying mods, doesn't need to be made in some
commercial quantities, but can be done almost desktop size, with
appropriate deviations on the recipe etc, it's probably closer to the
GNU/Linux ethos.

I'm refering to Mead. Yum Yum!

But of course, it's closer to a wine making system, and we all must be
aware of what some regions of France did with their wine, and you can do
similar with Mead. Distill it into Open source Brandy. Shouldn't take
too much kit, which could probably be recycled from some descaled
plumbing spares - though I'm not sure the HMC&E would take the F/OSS view!

regards

John D.