[Sussex] continuing difficulties with Samba.

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Thu Jul 28 23:18:58 UTC 2005

Hi List,

Firstly, I'm sorry if it seems like I'm asking the same question(s) over
and over, but I still can't get it (samba) working. I'm not sure why, as
theres so much that I don't understand.

I've tried a couple of different how to/instructional things, the latest
effort being the link (http://www.tweakhound.com/linux/samba/page_1.htm)
that Dave C sent. Unfortunately it's for SuSE 9.3 and XP, I did try it
by changing the things  round to reflect W98SE as best I could, but
without success.

It hasn't be a total failure, because I can now see the Linux box with
the W98 laptop. Plus both devices can see each other across the network
by trying to ping both ways, which is successful.

The above tutorial suggested that I use an app called SMB4k (an SMB/CIFS
share browser). It seems to have installed ok, but doesn't seem to see
the network or any "shares" (and no, I'm still not au fait with what is
meant by shares). It does seem to list my workgroup, but thats all.

I'm not sure what I need to check, all i want to do is access the
printer(s) that're connected to the linux box and some basic file sharing.

I've tried to read and comprehend many many docs online, but I must be
missing something.

does anyone know of some sort of check list of the thing that I should
check to work through this problem? I perhaps could guide me through
that ???

I haven't managed to find anything that might tell me what I need to do
- hell, other than I think I've got it set up to run from boot, I
haven't managed to find anything that might show me whether it's started
or not - It's been alledged in some places that samba works pretty much
out of the box with SuSE 9.3 though which box that might be has elluded me.

As usual, any assistance is very much appreciated.

regards

John D.

p.s. Oh and this is the smb.conf that the system seems to have
generated, but I haven't worked out what might be wrong with it.

# Global parameters
[global]
    workgroup = JOHNSGROUP
    map to guest = Bad User
    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    printcap cache time = 750
    printcap name = cups
    add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd  -c Machine -d
/var/lib/nobody -s /bin/false %m$
    logon path = \\%L\profiles\.msprofile
    logon drive = P:
    logon home = \\%L\%U\.9xprofile
    domain master = No
    printer admin = @ntadmin, root, administrator
    cups options = raw
    include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf
    domain logons = No
    security = user

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    valid users = %S
    read only = Yes
    inherit acls = Yes
    browseable = No

[profiles]
    comment = Network Profiles Service
    path = %H
    read only = No
    create mask = 0600
    directory mask = 0700
    store dos attributes = Yes

[users]
    comment = All users
    path = /home/
    inherit acls = Yes
    guest ok = Yes
    case sensitive = No
    veto files = /aquota.user/groups/shares/
    msdfs proxy = no

[groups]
    comment = All groups
    path = /home/groups/