[Sussex] continuing difficulties with Samba.

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Sat Jul 30 09:20:46 UTC 2005

Richie Jarvis wrote:
> John,
>
> A share is when you enable a windows drive, directory or printer to
> others.  In windows, when you right-click on a drive, directory or
> printer, you should see something on the menu titled Sharing or
> something similar - click on this, and it allows you to set the
> sharing options (read, read-write, etc.)
>
> In linux, the shares are defined in Samba, and define what
> directorys/drives/printers are available.  In your config you
> attached, this is an example of the share for your printer:
>
> [printers]
>   comment = All Printers
>   path = /var/tmp/
>   create mask = 0600
>   printable = Yes
>   browseable = No
>
> The browseable=No line is what is stopping you from seeing anything
> under the workgroup on the Windows98 box - Browseable simply controls
> whether when you click through the My Network window it shows or not.
> Try setting Browseable=Yes, and then restarting Samba, and refreshing
> the window in 98 - it should appear.  You might ask why you would have
> browseable=No - the reason is that you can still get to a share, if
> you know it is there, without using the browse window to get to it.
> Simply type the network address into the window to get to it, for
> example, your printers share address is \\<machinename>\printers - Try
> it, it should work even with Browseable set to No.
Thanks for the assist Richie.

I'm a little way further on than I was i.e. I think I can see the laptop
from the linux box now (well, it's showing in the SMB4k gui), but I
can't access it. Likewise, the laptop seems to see the linux box, I can
look into the /home (well I think thats what I'm looking at from it's
screen), but again I can only look at a few of the directories that show
up, and I still seem to be unable to print from the laptop.

Some of my most recent meddling, means that my smb.conf now looks like this

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2005/07/26 19:37:26

# Global parameters
[global]
workgroup = JOHNSGROUP
map to guest = Bad User
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
printcap cache time = 750
printcap name = cups
add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd  -c Machine -d /var/lib/nobody -s
/bin/false %m$
logon path = \\%L\profiles\.msprofile
logon drive = P:
logon home = \\%L\%U\.9xprofile
domain master = no
printer admin = @ntadmin, root, administrator
cups options = raw
include = /etc/samba/dhcp.conf
restrict anonymous = no
preferred master = no
max protocol = NT
ldap ssl = No
server signing = Auto
security = share

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
valid users = %S
inherit acls = Yes
browseable = No

[profiles]
comment = Network Profiles Service
path = %H
read only = No
create mask = 0600
directory mask = 0700
store dos attributes = Yes

[users]
comment = All users
path = /home/
inherit acls = Yes
guest ok = Yes
case sensitive = No
veto files = /aquota.user/groups/shares/
msdfs proxy = no

[groups]
comment = All groups
path = /home/groups/
inherit acls = Yes

[printers]
comment = All Printers
path = /var/tmp/
create mask = 0600
printable = Yes
printer name = deskjet840c
printer name = laser
browseable = yes

[print$]
comment = Printer Drivers
path = /var/lib/samba/drivers/
write list = @ntadmin, root
force group = ntadmin
create mask = 0664
directory mask = 0775

Whether any of that has made any difference, I'm unable to tell.

My current confusion revolves around, shares i.e. how do I tell "it"
what I want to share, logins/usernames/passwords i.e. does samba
use/need different user names and passwords + does Clare need to have
seperate username/password as the laptop user account is her one, server
connections i.e. why I seem not to be able to connect the laptop, which
I can see from the SMB4k gui window but tells me that the connection has
been refused or is broken if I try to look at it and (finally :-|) why,
when I'm trying to print anything from the laptop it won't allow me too.

Sorry if that seems like a mammoth amount of idiotic questions, but all
the docs/tutorials/howtos/other info that I've read appear meaningless
at the moment.

regards

John D.