[Sussex] Kernel compilation gone horribly wrong

Captain Redbeard hairy.one at virgin.net
Sat Jun 4 20:14:36 UTC 2005

Please help,

I'm using Slackware 10.1 which comes with the 2.4.29 kernel
by default.  The problem is that I've got a CD-burner and a
Speedtouch USB modem both of which per the relevant HOW-TO's
run better with a 2.6 kernel.  Unfortunately I've been
bashing my head off a brick wall for the past several days
trying to get a working compilation.  I've made about six
separate attempts to get all my hardware properly setup and
running and have yet to succeed.  I did manage to get the CD
burner working and the modem does seem to be recognised,
even though it doesn't work yet, but I cannot get either of
my NIC's working, even though they both work fine under the
2.4.29 kernel.  I've been through the entire menu system
carefully several times, reading all the help messages, but
to no avail.  I've now come to the point where I really
don't know what to do anymore and have been unable to find
anything that will help.  Though there are several tutorials
on kernel compilation I've found none that go into details
on the configuration itself, they normally just deal with
everything else and skip over that section.  Therefore I
would like to know if there is anybody willing to take a
look at my configuration and tell me where I'm going wrong.

The following are the machine specs:

Motherboard: Foxconn 600A01 (5 x PCI, 1 x AGP, 4 x USB 2.0)
CPU: Sempron 2.2GHz
Graphics card: AGP GeForce2 MX 400 w/64Mb
Audio: On-board VIA VT1616 (AC'97 2.2)
NIC 1: On-board VIA VT6103L
NIC 2: TrendNet TE100-PCIWN (though the default kernel
recognises is as a Realtek RTL8139)
Hard drive (/dev/hda): Maxtor 6B200P0 (200Gb)
DVD drive (/dev/hdc): Atapi DVD-ROM 12X
CD-R drive (/dev/hdd): Matshita CD-R CW-75
Modem: Alcatel Speedtouch USB revision 4

The .config file itself is too large to post here but I've
put it on the 'net at
http://freespace.virgin.net/black.rebel/kernel-config

The computer itself I would eventually like to use as a
server for a small home network (mainly for self-education
purposes) which would include a Win XP laptop.  Because of
this I've included a Samba server as well as several other
network-related services in the config though I don't
understand what they all mean and don't really know if I
need or not.  Other than that I have ruthlessly disabled all
options that I don't have any need for (so no SCSI,
parallel, ISA support, etc).  All of the hardware I
mentioned is listed and supposedly selected in the config
but I still cannot get my NIC's working at all.  When I boot
into the kernel and type "ifconfig eth0" I get the error message

eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found

with a similar result for "ifconfig eth1".  Is anybody able
to have a look at my config file and tell me where I'm going
wrong or is the problem likely to be elsewhere?

--
Captain Redbeard

Insomnia - it's not a condition, it's a mentality.
Registered Linux user: 388693.
Registered Linux machines: 289172, 289173.
v2sw5+8C+JGhw5ln4/5pr6/7Ock1ma6/8l6+8Sw3+2e4t2b9Hen4+6
g5+3RHaIr9 Hackerkey.com