[Sussex] Kernel compilation gone horribly wrong

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Sat Jun 4 20:24:21 UTC 2005

Cap'n,

My advice:

00. Make sure that loadable modules are enabled

01. Unless it's vital to system boot-up (and that _DOES NOT_ include Net
Drivers!) compile it as a module - Select everything that looks even
vaguely like it might be correct![1]

10. Install a package such as Coldplug (or hotplug) that will run at
boot-time, detect the hw and (9 out of 10 times) install the module

11. Relax.

HTH,

Matt

[1] - yes, this approach may be lazy, hell, there are probably a
thousand better ways to do it, but, IME, it works.

M.