[Sussex] Re: Kernel compilation gone horribly wrong

Captain Redbeard hairy.one at virgin.net
Mon Jun 6 00:15:08 UTC 2005

Hi,

OK so I found the solution in a how-to at LinuxQuestions.org.  All it
took was a few commands to install a generic kernel from the CD.  Not
only do I have my cards working but I also figured out how to get my
modem running so I've now gotten my Slackware network onto the 'net.
However I would like to know why my earlier attempts were a failure.
I've had a fairly good look around various websites for detailed
instructions for the options available in kernel compilation but failed
to find anything that goes into any real detail.  Does anyone know of a
good tutorial that covers this subject?  Or at least one that explains
all the things that can possibly go wrong and why?

Captain Redbeard