[Sussex] OpenOffice from the shell

Geoffrey J. Teale gteale at cmedresearch.com
Mon Jun 6 10:48:10 UTC 2005

nik butler <nik at reducedhackers.com> writes:

> Yes... well the thing about open office is that like Office its a
> series of clever interlocking applictions with a gui wrap. I think
> open Office has a high dependency on java but I think the key here is
> that you can unwrap the document into its constituent and then use the
> XML doc type and libraries to traverse the document and export
> xhtml.

Actually OpenOffice 1.x has a fairly low dependency on Java (there are
a couple of "wizards" that require it.  Sun just like to make it look
like Java is a requirement for their own nefarious reasons.

It's my experience that 8 out 10 cats think OpenOffice.org is written
in Java - this simply isn't the case.

--
Geoff Teale
Cmed Technology            -   gteale at cmedresearch.com