[Sussex] Sarge...

Alan F alan at slug.greenmeads.co.uk
Wed Jun 8 12:44:55 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 11:32:51PM +0100, Simon Huggins wrote:
> Er, there are 2.6.8 kernels for sparc in sarge and 2.4.27 versions for
> both 32bit and 64bit:
> http://packages.debian.org/stable/source/kernel-image-2.6.8-sparc
> and
> http://packages.debian.org/stable/source/kernel-image-2.4.27-sparc

Ah, my mistake. The kernel upgrade wasn't included in dist-upgrade,
which I was expecting (maybe this is normal). A libc upgrade was in
the dist-upgrade, though, which needed the upgraded kernel. I couldn't
install the new kernel beforehand because it required a version of
modutils for which there wasn't even a package available in the main
sarge distribution for sparc.

This document pointed me in the right direction:
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/sparc/release-notes/ap-kernel-upgrade-howto.en.html

(I needed this line in my sources.list to do the upgrade)
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/sarge/main/upgrade-kernel ./

Anyway, I did a clean install because I wanted to convert to reiserfs
from ext2 and the box had collected a fair amount of fluff. Quite
happy with it now. :-)