[Sussex] Laptop as an expensive remote control?

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Wed Jun 15 20:24:27 UTC 2005

Matt

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 08:08:39PM +0100, Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> In my lounge I currently have a headless server that contains my mp3/ogg
> collection.  It has a great sound card in it (SB Live Platinum) and a
> pretty decent speaker system wired up to it too (only 4.1, but it's good
> quality!).
>
> I want to be able to select the tracks from my laptop over the wireless
> lan, but have them played on my server, kind of like a remote-control
> for a hi-fi system.
>
> Does anyone have any idea if there is anything out there to do this
> already, or am I better off writing a PHP Script that has a load of
> system calls to exec the files locally?

There is software to do this for you already.  A couple of years ago
I was playing with some jukebox type software that could be used as
you want.  The system had a separate interface that could have been
used from a second machine via a TCP/IP link, or via a command line
using a Unix domain socket interface.

Sorry but I can't remember the name or find any reference to it.  I
stopped using it a while back and delete it from my system.

However a quick look on Google turned up http://www.luga.de/pytone/
which appears to have much the same functionality.  I haven't tried
this one.  But there is a system out there somewhere for you.

		-- Donald Knuth