[Sussex] Compiler G++ problems

Andrew Guard andrew at andrewguard.com
Sun Jun 19 16:13:45 UTC 2005

>> > Why _should_ it be on by default? There's no requirement to say it
>> > should.
>>
>> Err, it Open Source. I thought the idea of having a compiler would
>> installed by default to be useful.
>
> Yes, it is Open Source.  No, it doesn't come with the moon on a stick.
> Just because it is open source, that does not mean that it comes with
> everything you think it should;  and more importantly you what you
> _want_ it to by default.  Almost _all_ distributions these days are for
> *users* of a system [1].  Developers (or those wanting to compile
> applications) generally have enough clue as to:  1)  know how to install
> the necessary tools, and 2) Shouldn't have that much of a problem doing
> so.

[sarcasm]
Sorry for even trying to release software for Linux.  As I have never done
it before I should only spened my time and money on systems which dont
think that have to know it all to do it first place.
[/sarcasm]

> Since you're using Ubuntu, there's a metapackage called
> "build-essential" which will pull down all of the core compiler and
> central libs for you:
>
> # apt-get install build-essential
>
> is the *first* thing you should do.  The other thing is to then install
> all of the -dev libs that the application will need to compile.  You
> might also find [2] interesting, if only for a high-level overview.
>
>> Sadly I don't know as IDE system I use is cross platform 1 source code
>> compiles for all systems Mac, Windows, Linux. I don't want to get to
>> dumped down in the in's and out's of each system. Thats why I have
>> gone down this route.
>
> ... which has bitten you square on the arse, it seems.  As nice a
> sentiment as it may seem, this method of doing things is somewhat
> restrictive.  Read [2] and you'll see how to compile usual applications.

Personally I don't think so.  It been giving me grief only for the last 2
days, just to get it working on Linux which I think it is now working.
Only by uninstall library's and reinstalling them, some freak issue but
non a less it happened and drove me nuts.

Now for someone who never written a program for Linux before or not really
use Linux before I see achievement as very good.

So what have I lost in total, just 2 days because of this. Now how long do
think it would taken me to make various changes to make the same program
to work on Mac and Linux from some code written on and for Windows would
of use to.  Before it would taken me months but now it just job of
recompiling for XYZ and don't need to know in's and out's of XYZ.  All I
have to worry about is how to get my get idea's to work, thats how it
should be.

Anyway I will leave another issue that I am having to another e-mail.

Thanks for the help so far.

--
This e-mail has been edited with a webmail service.