[Sussex] Dual boot Ubuntu

Thomas Adam thomas at edulinux.homeunix.org
Sun Jun 19 16:42:57 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jun 19, 2005 at 05:28:51PM +0100, Andrew Guard wrote:
> 1) How can put boot loader in to my system, so I can be Windows or
> Ubuntu.

Well, since Ubuntu uses GRUB, you essentially just have to chainload it.
ISTR the file is fairly-well commented, but you just want an entry like
this:

title=Windows Partition
root (hd1,0) # Tell GRUB Windows is on /dev/hdb1 (No pretending here)
rootnoverify (hd1,0) # GRUB won't attempt to mount the Windows drive
makeactive # Sets the partition to active
chainloader +1 # Tells GRUB to load the Windows bootloader when done

Which you can add to your /boot/grub/menu.lst file.  With modification,
of course.

> 2) How can I get Ubuntu to read/write from seconded harddrive on my
> system which is of course formated in NTFS.

For user-accessible NTFS, you want something like this in your
/etc/fstab file:

/dev/hdb2  /ntfs    ntfs  conv=auto,uid=<user>,gid=<group>,dmask=0002,fmask=0003, defaults 0 0

Which should all be on one-line, of course.

-- Thomas Adam

--
"One of us is a cigar stand, and one of us is a lovely blue incandescent
guillotine" -- Stephen Malkmus, "Type Slowly" from "Brighten The Corners"