[Sussex] Dual boot Ubuntu

Thomas Adam thomas at edulinux.homeunix.org
Sun Jun 19 21:57:56 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jun 19, 2005 at 10:49:38PM +0100, Rupert Swarbrick wrote:
> I also think that the ubuntu installer does that all automatically. It
> sees an NTFS partition (or Fat32 if you're using Win98/ME) and assumes
> you've got windows there.

In certain circumstances...

> P.S. By far the most difficult problem is resizing the existing
> partitions. I assume that you've already shrunk the windows one, or
> are you happy to wipe your Windows install and start again? If you're
> using XP's NTFS, you'll have to resize in advance - PartitionMagick is
> great for that, but costs ?70 (or a friend that has it...)

You shouldn't attempt resizing NTFS partition at all, to be honest,
whether it's via F/OSS or a 100000000 pound sterling app your Granny
recommended to you.  The FS was not made for resizing.  :/  Either way,
the NTFS page at sf.net is the best resource to go look.

-- Thomas Adam

--
"One of us is a cigar stand, and one of us is a lovely blue incandescent
guillotine" -- Stephen Malkmus, "Type Slowly" from "Brighten The Corners"