[Sussex] Aargh!

Alan Pope alan.pope at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 22:54:56 UTC 2005

On 19/06/05, Rupert Swarbrick <rupert.swarbrick at lineone.net> wrote:
> Oh dear. I've just deleted 3 weeks of work (since last backup).
>
> And it's because I was using nautilus instead of the command line -
> Ctrl-A, Shift-Delete, Enter.
>
> "Hmm.. Why is this taking so long.... AArgh!! Wrong directory!"
>
> Oops.
>
> So any credentials I may have had as knowing what I'm doing have just gone.
>
> <sob>
>
> </sympathy-plea>

Heh. At the weekend I managed to drop a productive table which used to
contain around 900000 rows from a database. Many swear words were
heard as I realised the button in the GUI I had pressed was "drop
table" and not (as I had actually intended) "drop index". The good
news is that it was possible to reconstruct the data in that table
from elsewhere. The other good news was that if I had dropped it a
couple of weeks ago we'd have lost (and had to reconstruct) about 3.6
million rows.

I sympathise.

Cheers,
Al.