[Sussex] Wine and SQL Server 2000

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Mon Jun 20 15:27:33 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I'm currently doing a Microsoft Course (I know, but it's a way back into
the industry...) and one of the things we need to be able to do is use
the company's MSSQL server.

I've tried running the SQL 200 Server tools under wine, but it just
won't install.  It says that it can't copy a file to my harddrive
because it doesn't exist, however when I check it out, it is there.

I've tried copying the entire CD to my HDD, I've tried converting all
the files to lower case, then all to upper case, I've tried copying the
file directly to the directory in which it is needed and still I have no
joy.

I've googled, but I'm not sure I'm googling for the correct phrase and
there's a lot of posts out there along the lines of "Just install
mysql/postgresql", but I can't do this.

Just to finish, I really want to make it clear that switching from
Microsoft SQL Server 2000 to an open-source alternative IS NOT AN
OPTION. (hate to have to shout, but some people on the forums out there
just don't seem to get it.)

TIA,

Matt